Chipotle Chicken Tostadas with Pineapple Salsa
Delicious chipotle chicken tostadas topped with a colorful, fresh pineapple salsa. These healthy chicken tostadas are easy to make and have an incredible sweet and savory flavor from chipotle chicken, sweet pineapple, creamy avocado and a kick of heat from jalapeño. A fun and flavorful weeknight dinner!
- For the pineapple salsa
- 2 cups small diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Pinch of salt
- For the chipotle chicken
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- To assemble
- 6 (8-inch) grain free tortillas* (can use Siete tortillas)
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ½ cup shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the pineapple salsa: in a medium bowl, toss together the pineapple, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, avocado oil and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 5 days.
Make the chicken: in a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken, chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper.
Cook the chicken, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon until it is brown, about 7 minutes. Drain off any excess fat from the pan, if necessary.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken broth and tomato paste and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes.
Remove from heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
To assemble: place the tortillas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
Carefully spread the mashed avocado on top of each crisp tortilla. Sprinkle with the shredded cabbage and a big scoop of chipotle chicken. Top with the pineapple salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Recipe from The Defined Dish Cookbook.